Preferred Searches & Email Notification
- Preferred Searches allows users to choose to receive email notification for new items. (Examples: a new DVD on Ansel Adams; books by J.K. Rowling; compact discs of Mozart sonatas).
In order to benefit from the notification feature, patrons must enter their email address, and should check it periodically for accuracy.
- Patrons can edit their search strategies and enable/disable notifications.
- Mark individual searches for removal
- Mark to remove all searches
- Mark for email notification (sends an email notice when items are added to the collection which meet the previously established search criteria)
More on Preferred Searches
Because your institution is one member of a group of libraries, you must be keenly aware of which collection you are searching. For example, saving a search while in the SBU catalog means alerts will be limited to SBU material.
If you save a search while looking at All Locations (the default), alerts will include materials processed by MSSU, Drury, etc. This is very helpful if you are looking for new book material on a subject, because you can borrow most of these items through SWAN.
- If you are looking for media items, you will want to limit your search to your local catalog, because media material cannot be borrowed through SWAN.